There are more than 2 million poisonings reported each year and most of those happen in homes in children younger than 6 years old. Unintentional poisonings cause the deaths of about 30 children each year and hospitalizations for thousands more. Poisonings also kill many adults. Children are notoriously curious and will explore all areas in and around their home. It is important to consider all sources of potential poisons...OTC medication, prescription medication, cleaning supplies, lawn and garden supplies, health and beauty products, laundry detergents, etc. It is important to store all of these products out of reach and in locked cabinets and keep them in their original containers. Information about treatment for accidental ingestion is usually written on the labels. Medicines kept in pocketbooks may be easily accessible to children if they are left on the floor or on low tables. Make sure guests also keep their pocketbooks/ medicines out of reach of children. When administering a medication to a child or yourself, make sure it is the correct medicine (read the label each time), correct dose and time to be given. It is important to use the appropriate measuring device for administering liquid medicines... kitchen teaspoons/tablespoons are not universal in size. Make sure all medicines have not expired and bring those that are out of date or are not being used to a "medication take back program" offered by many community police stations. Always refer to medicine as "medicine" and not as "candy". Many medications look like candy and children can easily think that medicines left out could be candy and ok to eat. Many liquid medicines or cleaning products look like juice and could easily be ingested accidentally. If an accidental overdose occurs, IMMEDIATELY CALL POISON CONTROL 1-800-222-1222. Have information about the product available.